Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Bag of Groceries and a Brief Heart Connection

Today about 9 of us went and delivered 1 bag of groceries to each home in a neighborhood in Monroe. I love doing this because I love to see the responses of folks to getting something absolutely fro free with no strings attached. It is easy to do. Doesn't take much training. It is what Servant Evangelism Steve Sjogren calls a "low risk, high grace" out reach. In other words rejection is really low and it doesn't take much skill or training. Because of the greater dependence on the grace of God than on skill, the Holy Spirit uses it to touch people deeply where our words can't quite touch.

At the end of our 45 minute outreach, I saw a young lady sitting in a car. So I did, what I do.

"Hi, I just want to give you a free bag of groceries." She acted a bit startled, but rolled down her window and took the groceries. I explained, "I just wanted you to know in a practical way that God loves you." I gave her one of our connection cards.
She said thanks, and I stepped away. Something caught my attention, so I asked her how she was doing. She opened up and explained, " My brother-in-law just died yesterday in a traffic accident." I stumbled a bit, but as we continued to speak for a couple minutes, she began to tear up.
My heart really went out to her. As we parted after a minute or two I asked her if I could pray with her, she said yes. So I just asked God to touch her and her family and that they would know the comfort of God in this time. I reminder her of the card I gave her and told her that if there was anything I could do to just call me.

I don't know if I will ever hear from her. But I do know that God touched her in those brief minutes and I believe he is drawing her closer to his own heart. --- Keith

No comments: